JACOB KNAPP (Son of Thomas Knapp and Martha), born in Connecticut. Died 2 July 1861, Florence Township, Williams County, Ohio; married MARTHA BENSON (Daughter of Daniel Benson and Electa Haskins), born 1788 in Easton, Washington County, New York, died 1863 in Williams County, Ohio. Both of Martha Benson's grandfathers served in the Revolutionary War. Her father was in the War of 1812.
Jacob and Martha were married around 1812 in Fabius, Onondaga County, New York. By 1832 they were living in Westfield Township, Delaware County, Ohio where they lived near Martha's father and brothers. At the time they came to the area it was considered an unbroken wilderness with few other inhabitants. They stayed in Westfield Township until 1848. It was then that they moved to Florence Township, Williams County, Ohio where they farmed some of the richest land in the county. Descendants of Jacob and Martha Knapp still live in Williams County.
Jacobs age on his tombstone doesn't seem to match census records. Depending on which is referred to he was either 87, or else about 77 years old when he died. At this time, most researchers of this family believe that he was born about 1785.
The following children are mentioned in Jacob Knapp's
will which was proved in Williams County on
30 August 1861:
1. ELIAS JACOB KNAPP- born 1813,
Fabius, Onondaga County, New York.
2. DANIEL KNAPP- born 1815, Fabius, Onondaga County, New York.
3. ELECTA KNAPP- born abt.1817, Fabius, Onondaga County, New York.
4. SILAS KNAPP- born 1823, Fabius, Onondaga County, New York.
5. ELI KNAPP- born 1827, Fabius, Onondaga County, New York.
6. NELSON LEANDER KNAPP- born 1829, Fabius, Onondaga County, New York.
7. LORINDA KNAPP- born 1834, Delaware County, Ohio.
Clicking on any of the above names will take you to their information.
JACOB KNAPP'S ANCESTORS SURNAMES INDEX FURTHER SOURCES
CENSUS INFORMATION HOME
You can E-mail Wyatt R. Knapp at